It’s that time of week again. No excuses. Last week I set my writing goals for the week. Here’s a summary of what I was aiming to do – along with how I got on:
1. Write minimum of 1000 words of novel – ACHIEVED – 1200 words written.
2. Write minimum of 1000 words on my short story (working title ‘Cops and Robbers’) – WHOOPS – 600 words written.
3. Submit 2 short stories for competition or publication – ACHIEVED.
5. Complete Phoenix Writers challenge – ACHIEVED.
Ok – 4 out of 5 ain’t bad? If I’m honest, I’m a bit annoyed about not hitting the target on my crime story. It was a relatively low target to begin with and all I managed was 600 words.
However, let’s be positive. I made a big stride towards completing the first draft of my novel and it was fun to write.The podcast recording was squeezed in and released on schedule. I subbed another two stories and, thanks to the support of the members of the Phoenix Writers Subs Group, I have more ideas and leads to follow-up. I completed the challenge for the main critique group and also read the first section of my crime story, receiving some helpful feedback.
It has been a busy week with lots of band commitments – including two gigs and a rehearsal – and I still managed to push on with two different WIPs, record a podcast, sub my work and complete my Phoenix Writers homework. It’s a positive start to the new regime and I think both myself and fellow writer Maria Smith over at First Draft Cafe, are glad to be making plans and moving forward with our writing goals.
Speaking of goals . . . here are this week’s:
1. Write minimum of 1500 words on novel – I want to increase last week’s word count and maintain the momentum.
2. Write minimum of 1500 words on crime story – same again, but no excuses will be allowed for failure two weeks in a row!
3. Record, edit and release this week’s Joined Up Writing Podcast – due for release on Thursday.
4. Complete Phoenix Writer’s Challenge before Saturday.
5. Sub one piece of work to a competition or for publication.
What are your writing goals – long and short term? Have you tried teaming up with another writer to motivate you to achieve? Let me know what works for you? Leave your comment below or tweet me @MrKelly2u.
See you next Sunday for the next update. Happy writing and have a great week.